List of trails that remain OPEN during COVID-19

I just got to the Rockbridge park and it says pets prohibited. Also, Clear creek does not allow pets. I am extremely frustrated. Which parks allow pets!?

@Megan_Gradomski that’s correct, rockbridge does not allow pets. I didn’t realize clear creek metro is also not pet friendly, sincerely apologize about that! The list of trails that do not allow pets include rockbridge, clear creek, and boch hollow. I believe all the others in the list above allow pets! To double check, you can also call the state park or rangers offices.

Hi! We are traveling downjune 12th-15. I know the main trails in hocking hills state park are closed but are do you know if Broken rock falls
Loop Is open? I’ll have a dog & 2 under10 with me. Any must see trails you suggest?
Thanks !

Looks like Zaleski Backpacking trails are open. Is this correct? If so are the primitive overnight camp sites?

@Nathan_Graham last I read the primitive sites are open at zaleski state forest. That was about 2 weeks ago and they never shut down so I imagine they’re still open!

I’m visiting hocking hills this weekend, I called ODNR and they told me everything was closed there. I was trying to obtain a permit for Robinsons falls and she said no they’re closed and hung up on me. So my question, is boch hollow or rock bridge open at this time? I have no idea where to go around there for good scenery besides the major trails. Thanks!

I was planning a trip there w my family. My wife has been wanting to see some falls, are there any I can take her to? Also, reading through comments, I may go to Boch, what is that address?

I may add I was planning on heading there tomorrow, I never expected trails n falls to be closed. I just need to figure out what we are doing. Thank you very much!

Hi @Ben_Lemaster. Boch hollow would be a great choice. It hasn’t rained in the past couple days so the small waterfalls may or may not be flowing. Still you would see caves, beautiful scenery, a pond and gazebo, and much more. After you enter boch hollow, the path will fork. To the right you can see the pond and gazebo and then turn back around to the parking lot (~1 mile hike). If you go straight the trail will lead up hill and where you will see caves and beautiful scenery. This loop trail will take you in a loop back eventually reaching the pond and then back to the parking lot (a few mile hike and somewhat straining). If you follow the metal signs on the trail it will help guide you.

Outside of Boch Hollow, Rockbridge is about a 2-3 mile out and back hike, and it has a waterfall as well.

We are planning to go down June 20. Are there any trails open that would be considered stroller accessible? Or short and flat enough to easily carry a baby?

There aren’t a large number of trails and parks in Hocking Hills that are stroller friendly (with paved paths.) The first ones that come to mind are Ash Cave and Conkles Hollow, both of which have paved paths. Unfortunately, both will remain closed as of June 20th, 2020. You could carry a baby at Lake Logan or Lake Hope trails. Also, Rockbridge State Nature Preserve. Each of those trails have inclines and declines, not stroller friendly, but if you’re carrying the baby that could work.

Lake Logan trail is about 1 mile. You will park at the beach and there are some inclines and declines. Doable while carrying a child. Lake Hope is vast. Many trails to choose from. Rockbridge is a few miles out and back. Decline on the way to the natural rock bridge and waterfalls (if weather permits) and incline on the way back.

Maps for each can be found at the links below.
https://hockinghills.com/lake_logan.html
https://www.hockinghills.com/lake_hope.html
https://hockinghills.com/rock_bridge.html

@Krystal_Marshall I have not heard if Broken Rock Falls is open. You can call the state park office to verify. Both Cantwell Cliffs and Rock House will open on June 15th. Stunning trails to visit on the last day before you head home! On June 12th-14th, your best bets would be lake logan trail (1 mile) and lake Hope (a 30 minute drive from HH area) Lake Hope is right beside Zaleski State Forsest as well. Both have miles of hiking trails and numerous different routes. I’d recommend viewing the links at the top of this post to view the maps and find the trail that would suit the hiking distance you’re looking for. Once you’re on the trail, there will be guided markers to help you find your way.

@finn Can you explain why Rockbridge/Boch don’t allow pets? We have a 4 pound yorkie that we backpack if there is a longer trail. However, with COVID it seems like our only real option with a dog is Lake Logan before June 15th? Unless you have other suggestions?

Also, I think we have biked on a path in Athens, but is there any biking trails open closer to Logan? Thanks!

@JQLU Rockbridge and Boch Hollow are both State Nature Preserves. All State Nature Preserves don’t allow pets. Basically a rule set by Ohio Department of Natural Resources meant to protect the fragile environment at the areas.

Your best bet before June 15th with pets would be lake logan or lake Hope. For biking, you can bike on the roads assuming you have a road bike (mountain bikes not recommended on the road.) If you do bike on the road, make sure you’re careful. The most popular route is Big Pine Rd but it’s curvy with heavy inclines and declines. If you have mountain bikes (or road bikes) I’d really recommend the HockHocking Adena Bike Path which takes you from Nelsonville to Athens and back. It is it’s on paved trail on the side of the road and through the woods and allows pets as well.

Hey there! Is there any word on when the HH State Park will be opening?

What trails are open that would be handicap accessible or good for children?

Does anyone know if the hocking hills serenity cabins are open?

Does that mean the Rappelling area will be opened?

Are any of the open trails dog friendly?

@Katie_Chapman, yes Hocking Hills Serenity Cabins is open.